Friday, August 10, 2007

The Lord Works...


...in mysterious ways. This week's instance is one to share.

Travel costs kept me from attending my host mom's funeral in Norway. Through the years, Annie had played a great parental role for me, especially while I lived a second year in Norway as a college student. So when I learned of her death, my heart ached to be there.

I contacted my host dad from another family to help order a bouquet. Last Friday, he telephoned me saying: "It's not unusual for those unable to attend to write a message for the pastor to read during the funeral after others have spoken. If you'd like, we could help you."

"You'd do that?" I asked. He replied, "Yes. Just keep it short… a couple minutes or so. You can email it to me by Monday for Tuesday's funeral."

I struggled over the weekend trying to find the right words. Here's a translation of what I sent:

To Annie and her loved ones
From Wendy in Minnesota

It's not easy to say much in a short piece. Therefore I'll use what God has written on my heart.

Twenty-four years ago I was a stranger. You invited me into your home, gave me food, drink and a bed. Annie and Reidar gave me tasks. I felt useful. In time, you shared with me your joys and sorrows.

Five years later, Annie took me under her wing. She showed me how to pot plants, make homemade bread, knit wool socks and curl up in an easy chair with a magazine. She asked my opinions, listened to my experiences and dreams and occasionally challenged my habits. All the time, she encouraged me. Her actions demonstrated to me what it means to be a mother.

When I married and was expecting children, Annie took upon herself the grandmother role. During the following years, the postman delivered "Granny Annie" gifts – such as baby sweaters, wool mittens and socks for the whole family and, of course, milk chocolate bars.

I felt lucky when I traveled with my husband on two Norway trips. Each time, I got to "bear-hug" Annie. Just as in years past, she said again, "It feels so good to hug you. With you, there is something to hug."

In the Bible, Jesus explains who is his true family. He asked, "Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?" Then he pointed to his disciples and said, "These are my mother and my brothers. Anyone who does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother, sister and mother." (Matthew 12:48-50)

What does "my Father's Will" mean? Later in the Book of Matthew, Jesus speaks about Judgment Day.

"To those on the right, the King says: Come you who my Father blesses. You shall inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. When I was hungry, you gave me food. When I was thirsty, you gave me drink. When I was a stranger, you invited me into your home. When I was naked, you gave me clothes. When I was sick, you cared for me. When I was in prison, you visited me.

"Then those on the right side shall ask: Lord, when did we see you with such needs?"

Jesus explains, "Then King shall say: I assure, whenever you helped the least of my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me." (Matthew 25:34-40)

Many thanks for all your help, dear Mamma Annie!
From the stranger whom you called your foster daughter:
Your love lives on in me!

Wendy


Thursday in an email, my host dad wrote that the funeral went well; and the pastor read the letter I wrote as a part of his sermon.

"And so," my host dad noted, "Your greeting came before those offered by Annie's daughters. That is not usual."

I emailed back:

"How humbling. Now I understand why those Bible verses were laid upon my heart and wouldn't go away… even when I tried to write something else. At the time, I prayed: Why? Finally, I trusted God and used what the pastor read.

Therefore (during the funeral), it was GOD's greeting that came first. I was just the messenger. Incredible!

And now! Through your email, God has answered my question: Why?"

What a lesson on how each of us can be a vehicle of the Lord's mysterious ways!


Mamma Annie with Wendy expecting son #2

No comments: