Saturday, December 29, 2007

Grace Under Fire

"Hey! Grab my ski!" Dan hollered as he and Noah were swept away on the chair lift Friday night. "Bring it up when you come."

Somehow while helping Noah board, Dan lost his ski. The attendant stopped the line. I grabbed Dan's ski, took a seat and lifted off – high over the runs below. This was my second time riding a chair lift – EVER.

My first experience last March ended on my bottom. However, I believe: Practice Makes Perfect. That's why I faced my fears.

Would the line hold? Would the chair rock and tip? Will I fall? How am I going to get off this lift – no less – with a ski in my hand?

I pushed back bad thoughts. I focused on the frosty trees, the darkening sky, the shimmering lights, my husband and son seated ahead of me. I tried to relax: carefully slipping out my camera and snapping their photo.

I laughed thinking of Noah's rebellion earlier this evening. He was riding the J-bar up the bunny hill. Midway, he saw me aiming my camera. He jumped off and darted away. Still, I captured his yellow jacket and wide-spread legs – as well as the ski lodge and the distant lake... where decades ago, my grandparents built their retirement home... the place at which we were now staying for a Winter Retreat with my extended family... and the whole reason for our family-of-five visit to this ski hill.

Now near the hilltop, I spotted the sign: KEEP YOUR SKI TIPS UP. Dan and Noah exited the chair lift. It was my turn. I thought: "I have to dump Dan's ski. Otherwise, there's no hope for a graceful exit."

My skis hit the snow-packed platform. Still seated, I lowered Dan's ski and swooshed it towards him. I was free but too slow. The chair lift WHIPPED around the corner. I screamed: "AAAH!" and raised it to "AAAAGH!" seeing my start back down the hill.

Who was more startled – me, the surrounding skiers or the lift operator? I'm not sure.

BUT, the scream got results. The line stopped. The operator came out to my aid. I removed my skis. He set them on the platform, pulled back the chair lift and allowed to me exit – still standing – although, not with the "quiet" grace... for which I'd hoped.

Back at the Lake house, Dan reconciled spending the $120-lift-ticket fee for the short outing.

"It was worth it," he said thumbing towards me, "just watching 'GRACE'!"

For the record, I rode the chair lift three more times. The 2005 shaped skis (that Dan recently bought for us all on eBay) were excellent for gracefully winding down December's snowy slopes. Just for the runs, I faced fear again.

On my first "skiing" exit off the lift ramp, I wiped out taking a snowy bunch up my back. But on the next two exits, I pulled out – breaking into a hard turn - and remained standing! Practice pays... And, a warm stove helps dry out Grace Under Fire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Grace!

There are few things more daunting than learning to ski--especially at a lodge full of "good" skiers.

Hang in there! It's worth it! I'm so glad you guys were able to get shaped skis! They make all the difference!