Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Smørgåsbord


Today our quilting group met in the afternoon. So, I had time to run morning errands. I was still shopping at lunchtime. (My bowl of raisin bran – long gone.)

On my way to the milk cooler, I passed the bakery cart. A bag of wheat bolillio rolls caught my eye.

This bread's rich taste is very close to that of Norway's kneip bread. My thoughts began to roll: Norway, open-face sandwiches, lunch!

Rather than eat before quilting, I decided to take lunch to share. We usually have "coffee" (beverages with sweets) during our meeting. Today I'd expand our horizons with a smørgåsbord of open-face sandwich toppings.

Back home, I whipped up a batch of Italian salad. I grew to love the Norwegian-deli version of this dish during my college-dorm days in Telemark. My wing mate showed me how to stir in cubed ham for a satisfying sandwich spread. When I wed three years later, another dorm mate sent a cookbook called "Eat the Norway" which included a basic recipe for this popular salad. Here's my version – inspired from my days at Grivi Student Home.

Grivi Italian Salad Spread

In a bowl, toss:

1 small carrot, grated
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 apple, chopped
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1 pickle, chopped
1 cup ham, cubed
2 cups finely-shredded cabbage

In a separate bowl, mix:

1/2 cup light Miracle Whip
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp mustard

Stir dressing into the vegetable mixture. Refrigerate to blend flavors. Serve "open-faced" on a slice of heavy bread.

* * * * * * * *

With my "main dish" complete, I scanned our refrigerator for other Nordic toppings, piled them into a shopping bag along with a serving plate, bread tray and cheese cutter – which Norwegians will proudly tell you their ancestors invented! Down in the church-basement kitchen, I made final preparations for...

...an array

of

Nordic

smørbrød

(translated:
buttered
bread)


Out in the dining room, the ladies worked on world mission projects: laying out fabrics, tying quilts and rolling used-sheet strips for bandages. Soon I heard comments.

"What's Wendy doing in the kitchen?" one asked. Another guessed, "Getting supper ready for confirmation class."

"No," I replied. "This is for us!"

"She's preparing a feast," someone guessed. "I think I smell beef roast and mashed potatoes?"

"It's a smørgåsbord," I said. "I was shopping at lunchtime –"

"Big mistake!" she interrupted. "Shopping on an empty stomach."

"I know. But, my mistake is your reward," I said. "I found a bag of bolillio rolls and was inspired to make Italian salad – the Norwegian way. Pretty soon I was pulling out all kinds of Norwegian sandwich toppings."

When we finally sat down to coffee, I explained:



to
represent
"pølse,"

I used

summer
sausage;



For
farmer's
cheese –

provolone –

topped
with
cucumber.






These
cloud berry
preserves
came from
Sweden's
mountains.




Scandinavians will confess that they guard these berry-patches secrets – just like we Minnesotans guard our favorite fishing holes.


Then I
confessed –

about the
last topping:

real goat cheese

and homemade

strawberry preserves.


"When I first came to Norway as a 16-year-old, I hated their caramel cheese. But after a year immersed into their culture, I wanted to BE Norwegian... and that meant learning to like geit ost. One summer afternoon during an alfresco lunch by the lake, I shaved off a slice, set it on my tongue, and let it melt in my mouth. After the initial bitterness wore off, I grew to love geit ost.

To offset its strong taste, Norwegians use a dab of strawberry preserves – like this one homemade by my neighbor lady.

Værsågod!"

With that welcome and a table prayer, we hungrily part took in the Smørgåsbord.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your insight on traditional Norwegian food.

I lived in Kongsberg for a while some twenty years ago. I was looking for a recipe to remake the Italian salad I used to buy form the cold shelf in the supermarket. I found a little trip down memory lane when I found your site. Thanks again,
Dawn..

Wendy said...

Thanks for the feedback, Dawn.
I was shocked someone else would long for the Italian salad found at Norwegian supermarkets. I am glad this post brought back memories for you. Quite often in this blog, I reminisce about the two years I spent in Norway: one near Kongsvinger and the other in Bø!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so excited you put up a recipe for Italian Salad. I'm a nanny for a Norwegian family living in the US, and I fell in love with Norwegian food on our trip there last winter... especially italian salad. Unfortunately, being pershable, we couldn't bring back more than a carton or two of it, and now I really miss it! I'm going to try this recipe tonight! I LOVE italian salad smorbrod! And I've learned to like brunost though it took me a while. I've come to love Norwegian culture so much, I'm moving there this year to be a nanny in Oslo! Thank you for your awesome blog, and for the recipe.

Wendy said...

Sorry for my tardy response to your kind comment, Brenda! I am only too glad to help another Norwegian-at-heart soul find nourishment in recipes and culture. May your year as an Oslo nanny further your immersion. Hope to hear from you in the future!

Anonymous said...

This is an old post but I just wanted to inform you that it's GEITOST and KNEIPPBRØD - i.e. they're both written in *one word*.

Særskriving blir nemlig sær skriving, and we don't want that! ;)

Cipollina