Saturday, January 26, 2008

My Husband Chose...

... my washer.

"What? You let your husband buy a washer?"

"You bet," I replied to numerous women who'd scorned my recent judgment. I grinned, "I'm just the stay-home mom."

"But you're the one who uses it," they replied. "You're the one who knows what you need."

"That's right," I said. "My job is prompting him into action."

FEAR

After a mid-week evening run to the laundry mat with the boys, I came home flustered. Dan asked why. "Remember Noah and the razor-flushing experiment in the toilet?" I asked. He nodded. I continued, "Let's just say: they tested the limits at the laundry mat – its machinery and my patience. They will not enter that place with me again."

COST

Last weekend, I summed up the situation for Dan. "I spent $40 this week on laundry - and that doesn't include bedding or throw rugs." I added, "The manager thanked me personally for my business. At this rate, we'll spend $200 a month on laundry. That's a car payment."

TRUST

Within the hour, Dan began discussing options. "I'd like a special cycle for delicates," I said. "Otherwise... just get me something that works. You earn the big bucks. Now you can spend them."

I hate wheeling and dealing. Dan thrives on it.

He buckles down, researches products online, reviews customer complaints and raves, considers longevity, features and price and then haggles with local dealers to get the biggest bang for his buck.

Frugality motivates his drive to buy. He discovered all washers last about 10 years. Front loaders cost two-to-three-times more than top-loading ones. Front-loading ones do save on water usage. But we have our own well and don't pay a water-use fee. So, he got a top-loading, stainless-steel-tub washer with multiple cycle options, including ones for delicate and hand-wash. The new washer arrived Thursday and works great – as does this process of marriage building.

Yes, it's true. My Husband Chose My Washer... and another interest-free-payment plan for me to juggle too.

No comments: