Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Wildest Dreams

Years ago when Dan and I began our search for a place to call home, we made a list of desires. Our bottom line was a roomy house with potential, located in the country with acreage for our active, little sons to safely run.

I hoped for a place with "drama" – a special view and cozy feel. As we dreamed, I pushed away all barriers and said, "I'd like a place where I can walk out the back door and pick wild blueberries – just like I did with my host family in Norway."

Dan rolled his eyes: "This is central Minnesota, Wendy."

I laughed, "I know. But we're dreaming, remember?"

After nine months of searching, we found our country home, presented an offer to the sellers and had a signed purchase agreement on Christmas Eve 1997. We took possession and moved in February 1998.

That spring when the snow melted on the forested hill behind the house, I noticed bushy, low-growing plants and began to wonder: Could it be... this far south?

Once the plants sprouted leaves and formed tiny bell-shaped flowers, I realized my wildest dream come true... And a prayer answered.

More than a year earlier while attending my last Bible study at our Twin Cities church, a woman offered this verse to comfort me as my family left our home to wander where – we were not sure.

"See I am sending an angel before you to lead you along the way and bring you to the place I have prepared for you." Exodus 23:20

I thought about those past moments today – one decade later – as I walked out our back door with a bucket in hand to harvest wild blueberries from the plants we've since helped cultivate by burning off the hill as do commercial producers in Maine. Our plants have spread to cover a wider range. And in spite of the cold, wet spring, they have produced more berries than ever.

At least to me, four cups in one picking seems huge, considering it takes 500 berries to fill each measuring cup.

During my two-hour escapade, I dreamed of filling my 10-cup bucket – like I did nearly two decades ago when I lived near the Canadian border. There my co-worker and I trounced off into the woods, slathered ourselves in Skin-So-Soft, donned jeans, long sleeved shirts and kerchiefs to fight the bugs and laughed as we gathered with our winter stash.

Today, I missed my friend, Rosmairi.

But not for long!

A new picking partner wiggled his way into my work:

crouching
in the
berries...

and
leaping

at my

legs,

arms

and

camera.

"You STINKER!" I laughed.




And this time, I remem-
bered Rosmairi's recipe.





Wild Blueberry Muffins

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2-1/2 cups blueberries
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line 18 muffin-pan cups with paper liners. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. In another bowl toss 2 tbsp of the flour mixture with the berries. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in one egg at a time. Add remaining flour mixture alternately with the milk and vanilla. Crush 1/2 cup berries with lemon juice and stir into batter. Fold in remaining berries. Spoon into prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Serve hot. Taste. And believe – in your Wildest Dreams!


Until we meet again, dear friend. I hold you in my heart.

1 comment:

Michele said...

Hi Wendy. I'm catching up on your blog today and am blown away by your blueberry bushes! WOW! We've got a couple in our garden and managed a handful of berries last year. I, too, dream of the possiblity of buckets of berries. The muffins look delicious.