Wednesday, August 6, 2008

25-Year Jubilee

Twenty-five years ago today (August 6th), I arrived in Norway for the first time.

I was an American Rotary Exchange student who knew basic facts about the country but understood little of the people's culture. At the start, I relied on my interpretor to translate words of greeting from the Rotary Club's president. But step by step, that all changed as I was immersed into the Norwegian lifestyle.


In the autumn,

I learned

how to pack

open-faced

sandwiches

in wax paper for picnicking in the woods by an open fire.


At Christmas,

I helped select,

cut and decorate

a local forest tree

with vertical garlands

of tinsel and flags,

homemade ornaments

and candlelights.

And by winter's height, I strapped on skis, fish-boned up mountains and wondered – in great awe – at how minuscule we are as human beings. In short, I was awakened.

Many years have since passed. I've returned to Norway: once to live as a college student and twice on vacation.

In those early days of 1983, I dreamed (along with other "exchangees") of returning for a 25-year celebration. I'd forgotten that until...

I began the final countdown to this upcoming trip and counted back 2008-1983=25. To my great surprise, I will return for my 25-Year Jubilee!

Here's to STRONG coffee in tiny cups!

No comments: