Thursday, August 20, 2009

Growing Repertoire

Aaron hates vegetables. That's why I was surprised when he smiled toting in a bagful last weekend.

"It's all zucchini," he said. "Grandma Jan said to give them to you. You'll make cake, right?"


"More?" I cringed. Most summers I make one batch of each of the boys' favorite seasonal treats:

peach cobbler, wild blueberry pancakes, wild-raspberry cream-cheese pie, and apple crisp - to name a few. When Grandma Sue got the boys hooked on Chocolate Zucchini Cake, I added that recipe to my repertoire.

"But I've already made one this summer," I said. Aaron's eyes twinkled, "Your point?"

He paused then added, "We want more!"

Three days in a row, I baked a 9x13-inch pan of the "moist, chocolate-y goodness." In the process, I depleted my sugar and cocoa supplies - but not quite - the stash of zucchini.

I'm off to the store to restock. Grammy's garden is growing her grandson into a "vegetable" lover. Thanks to her, Aaron's even added green beans to his repertoire.

Want to grow yours? Here's a hint:

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1-3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk with 1 tbsp vinegar
2-1/2 cups flour
4(heaping)tbsp cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups shredded zucchini

Topping
On top of the batter, sprinkle
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup brown sugar.
1/3 cup chop nuts (optional)


Preheat oven to 350°F. Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs, oil and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix remaining dry ingredients: flour, cocoa, soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Alternately, stir in the dry ingredients and the sour milk to the margarine mixture. Fold in the shredded the zucchini. Spread in a 9x13-inch cake pan. Sprinkle on topping ingredients. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the cake comes out clean.

Enjoy!

No comments: