Friday, December 12, 2008

To Do The Father's Will


Have you ever been called out of your comfort zone?

A couple weeks ago, our church choir director urged me join the choir for the December 21st Christmas Cantata – an hour-long service of narration and song. She said, "We've got just two sopranos. We could sure use you, Wendy."

Since being elected the church Sunday School superintendent, I gave up choir to keep my focus on doing one activity well each Sunday. Yet, I'd asked this director to help me with our Sunday School Christmas program. I needed her not only on piano to accompany our program with 23 children but also to convince my husband to sing "The Lord's Prayer" as the children performed actions. She'd agreed to do her best. What could I do but offer mine?

I slipped into choir practice. She handed me my copy of "Go Tell It!" We rehearsed three songs. On the fourth, the director said, "We need a soprano soloist. Wendy?!"

I shook my head: "But I haven't sung in the choir for two years and now you're asking me to solo?"

As we ran through the song, I thought of my sons.

"Use your gifts!" I always say urging them to play clarinet or flute instrumentals for the congregation, help out with Sunday School class, play to their potential in sports, etc. Sometimes it works; other times not.

Actions speak louder than words, especially to kids. I knew I had to try this solo even though it took me outside my comfort zone. At home, I practiced between weekly rehearsals. At church as the children ran through the Sunday School Nativity, I was reminded how Jesus was taken from the comfort of his Heavenly home and sent to Earth. Each one of us has a special purpose – one that stretches our character and makes us reach out to others.

Still, still, still... To do The Father's Will.

No comments: