Friday, March 14, 2008

Stories of Surprise

I love stories of surprise. Lately my life has been filled with them.

I find that when I am prepared "to go all out" for someone, God makes the task "Oh, so simple."

Sunday morning I needed to pass on a hymnal donation to our choir director. When I first saw her, I was on my way to lead Sunday School songs. I figured I'd catch her after class, but before the service started.

Well, cleanup took longer than anticipated. Freshly squished-grape juice from our Vine-and-the-Branches lesson covered the classroom tables. The service was underway when I dug into my bag. I went into the church office to get an envelope to hold both the donation and a note of clarification. I sighed, "How am I going to get this to her? I can't go slide into her pew and start whispering."

I walked out of the office and there she stood in the hall by the office door.

"Perfect," I said catching her attention. "I needed to talk to you."

"I was having a hot flash," she explained removing her jacket, "and I had to get out of there."

"Well, I had this money for the church hymnals. I couldn't figure how I was going get it to you and explain how the donation should work," I said. We stared at each other and I said, "God's timing IS Perfect."

I explained my bit, handed her the money and she returned to the service. Walking out to the car, I laughed: If God can use a hot flash to bring people together for a simple purpose of exchange, what more can He do? I didn't even ask for His help just now.

Monday ushered in a string of surprises related to planning our Norway Bound trip. (Check out those entries by clicking on the link in the right-hand margin.) Wednesday evening, I telephoned my parents with news that – AT LAST – I'd booked the trip. What a weight off my shoulders.

My dad said, "Well, while I've got you on the phone and you're on a roll, I want to ask you about getting me some pumpkin seeds.

"I know," I said, "The Big Moon variety." (For years Dad got this variety at his local farm store to plant in his pumpkin patch. More than a decade ago when his seed source quit carrying Big Moons, I helped him track down another outlet.)

"Where did you get those?" he asked. I said, "My friend in Wisconsin got them for me at her local seed supplier. Last year, they didn't carry Big Moon seeds. But I remember a few years back, she got me their supplier's telephone number in St. Paul and they referred me to their source in California. That's where we got that sample seed packet of Big Moons years ago. I can google "Big Moon pumpkins and California suppliers" to try and help you get some seeds."

"I'd appreciate that," Dad said noting his cousin was interested in starting a pumpkin patch too. "And I told him: 'Big Moons were the only way to go. I'll have a talk with Wendy about getting seeds.'"

Thursday morning I ran errands, including shopping for rubber boots for Noah who'd ruined his winter boots by wading in the Spring-Thaw, pond-sized puddles. When Target failed to stock Noah's boot size, I tried our local farm store. Success: tall, heavy-duty, rubber-chore boots on sale for $10! Now he could wade to his heart's content. On the way to the register, I passed by the seed stands. Pumpkin seeds caught my eye. A closer look revealed the variety: Big Moon.

No way! Could it really be this easy? I checked out the description on the backside. Yes! This 200-pound variety with tender flesh for baking marked Dad's favorite: a true pumpkin, not a squash hybrid.

I bought five packets: two for Dad, two for his cousin and one for Noah. This year, the gardeners could all compete. I hurried home, packed up my find, addressed the manilla envelope, drove to the post office and mailed the works.

As the clerk processed payment, I said, "I wish I could see my dad's reaction when he gets this tomorrow."

I told her of Dad's request last night for pumpkin seeds, my willingness to google California in a search and the surprise of finding the seeds the next morning at our own farm store. I added, "In a little card to Dad, I wrote something to the effect of Ask and you shall receive..."

She smiled at my Stories of Surprise.

Tonight I found this one told by Jesus in Matthew Chapter 7:

"Ask, and you will receive. Search, and you will find. Knock, and the door will be opened for you. 8 Everyone who asks will receive. The one who searches will find, and for the one who knocks, the door will be opened. 9 "If your child asks you for bread, would any of you give him a stone? 10 Or if your child asks for a fish, would you give him a snake? 11 Even though you're evil, you know how to give good gifts to your children. So how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask him? 12 "Always do for other people everything you want them to do for you."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And so I see the Big Moons will arise!
B.