Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dan's Dream

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."
Author Unknown

For years, Dan dreamed of motor-
cycling again.

This year, he decided to make his dream come true.

"I'm not getting any younger," he said explaining his decision to spend his year-end bonus on a mid-1990s Kawasaki.

He bought the motorbike early in March, studied for and passed his motorcycle-permit exam and ordered a helmet online.

Easter weekend, Dan hauled a trailer to the dealer and picked up his purchase. Daily motorcycle rides around home ensued - to satisfy his wife's concerns about practice and safety - before he fulfilled his FULL dream of driving the motorbike 35 miles (56 km) to work.

After each of Dan's rides, the boys and I noticed a new habit forming. It started with Dan bumping the car out of our two-stall garage, so the motorcycle would have "full weather protection." Besides parking the motorbike, Dan would linger in the garage for up to 15 minutes. Aaron asked, "What's up with Dad? He just stands there STARING at the motorcycle!" Weekly conversation turned toward his next purchase for the sport. Boots, gloves, leather outerwear...

On the flip-side, Dan's enthusiasm for home improvements soared. He tackled troubles with our dishwasher and clothes dryer, began framing and siding a storage space under our three-season porch, performed maintenance on lawn mowers and much more! All done without the usual gloom-and-doom.

Was it the daily freedom of two wheelin?

Last night, Dan came home with his latest purchase: boots and gloves. After supper, he donned his gear and drove until sunset.

"I'm thinking of riding the motorcycle to work," he said as we went to bed. I cocked my eyebrow: "OH?"

"It's supposed to be 70°F (21°C) and sunny," he said.

This morning before I drove the boys to school for Zero Hour band, I asked, "Does the motor-
cycle have a carrier? How are you going to take your computer?" He quipped,"My bag's a backpack!"

"Be careful and SAFE!" I warned. Driving home, I spotted my motorcyclist coming and caught him in action. He stopped for a quick portrait, continued around the corner and out to the highway - living Dan's Dream:


"Work to ride and ride to work." ~Author Unknown




PS. I emailed Dan: "So...How was the motorcycle ride to work?" He replied: "Freezing…but otherwise uneventful."

Ah... 32°F (0°C) Minnesota mornings!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He must sleep peaceful now that his dream is fulfilled! I like the "Circle Me Burt" addition to your photos!
B

Mark... said...

I'm glad this is here in Blogger...you can show the boys when they get their first vehicle and sit in the yard washing/waxing/staring at it...then they will understand! Next we need to get you one!

Wendy said...

Yes, there's a certain peace that comes with fulfilling a dream. Our boys will likely discover that soon enough as they fulfill their own pursuits. It's doubtful that I'll take to motorcycling, Mark! However, there are some who understand Dan's pleasure straight away.

Last night after work, Dan rode straight to Aaron's baseball game, parked his motorcycle and came to sit with me. About a dozen boys (age 2-12) came by oogling his bike saying, "WOW! Look at that!" Dan poked me and said, "Did you hear that?" Boys and toys...

Anonymous said...

That's a sissy bike (inside joke right).


Cousin D