Sunday, March 25, 2012

To the Top

I asked Noah to join me on a walk up the hill tonight.

"See you at the top," he agreed hopping on his bike and setting off down our driveway and onto the gravel road. As I walked, I noticed he'd stopped on the rise not far from the stop sign. He was toying with his Gameboy as I approached. I thanked him for waiting for me and asked, "Are you ready now?"

"Ready for what?" he replied. I smiled, pointed to the pavement and onward saying, "To go to the top."

"I didn't know you meant THAT hill!" Noah said. I laughed, "Where else?"

He mumbled something about the gravel hill on which we were presently standing. I shook my head, "This isn't much of a workout. We need to stretch our muscles."


 





"Oh, all right,"
 he conceded.
"See you up there!"

He switched gears
on his bike
to make
pedaling easier.





He
ended
up
walking
the
final
leg




where
he
waited
for me
to
catch
up.








Then
we
took






a
few
photos







with
the
dramatic
background


(from 1,350 feet/
410 meters
above sea level
overlooking the
170-foot/ 52 meter
rise from the
distant river valley.)







With my promise
of helping
him build
a Facebook page,
he began
the descent home.









I followed at a slower pace, walking to the corner and turning onto the gravel road.


There, a couple big hoot owls began conversing. Having just overlooked the expansive forest, I didn't wonder why.

Back home Noah didn't wonder why I'd asked him to join me. Instead, he said, 
"It feels good to get all this exercise."

Next time, he'll know why I ask him to join me: To the Top

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! My favorite one is Noah and the dog. Very peaceful. Great job Noah, for going with mom....

TJ :-)