Saturday, August 29, 2009

Minnesota's State Gem


Next stop:


the
Baptism
River
Bridge

to see
the sea...



or at least,


imagine
the sea.

High winds on Lake Superior brought in ocean-sized waves to the river's mouth.


Dan and I

hiked more
steps for

an up-close
experience

on the
sandbar


of this tributary to the greatest of North American's Great Lakes.

Would we, like thousands of other hopefuls, find a Lake Superior agate? No... but we tried.


If patience is a virtue,

then
my
husband
is
virtuous.

While I "putz"ed,
he waited,
thinking
his wife was getting
some "great photos."




"THIS is IT?"

he asked when
I showed him

the results
back at the car.





"Look closer," I said. "What do you see?"

He grimaced,

"A bunch of foam on the river."

"Look at its swirling layers," I said.

"Doesn't it
look like

a
Lake
Superior
agate?"




Perhaps these tributary rivers hold the secret recipe to forming Minnesota's
State Gem.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agate is what I was thinking too. Cool pics of the water. Creative minds think alike ;-)
B