Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Out of the Blue

"Oh Honey! I don't want to start any more projects. That'll just mean one more for someone else to finish."

As a nursing home resident, Granny longed for a crochet project or something to keep her hands busy. She turned down my supply offer with that phrase and a nod heavenward, hoping The Good Lord would soon call her home.

In her younger years, Granny tinkered with many projects: some finished and others not. Today I was HAPPY for inheriting an unfinished one. It was the only cure for a foul mood that descended upon me late yesterday and would not go away - in spite of a brisk morning walk.

Coming inside from the fresh air and bright sunshine, I still felt on edge. Out of the Blue, I noticed a plastic Ziploc bag holding remnants of Granny's potholder project. I had to smile. Granny never threw out much. A pizza box became her template. Scraps of printed denim became her potholder cover. Swatches of muslin made liners. And an old mattress pad provided heavy fill.

Granny made scores of potholders from recycled materials, stitching seams on her treadle-sewing machine and hand hemming bias-tape edging in place. She gave away her finished products to family members: some who wondered "What's up with Granny?" and others - like my sisters and me - who cherished every loving stitch.

With that love in mind, I picked up the bag, set up my ironing board and sewing machine and went to work finishing something Granny had started more than a decade ago.

In 30 minutes of ironing, stitching, fitting, snipping, hemming, creating... my spirits were lifted Out of the Blue.


Dear Granny,

For unfinished projects,

I thank you

with love and great gratitude!

4 comments:

Dawn Feiler Nelson said...

Wendy,
Thanks for the Granny T. Potholder post...
I've always loved my Granny T potholders, not only were they made by Celia, but they've outlasted all commercially made potholders. They've been washed a million times and still look like they just came off of her sewing machine!

Anonymous said...

Me Too! I still have a couple in my potholder drawer that are my favorites to pull out everyday and I hate to think of the day that I will have to throw them out.... maybe I'll just patch them ;-)
B

Wendy said...

Aw, dear granddaughters... thanks for letting me know how my bad day and its remedy resulted in touching you.

Dawn: Priceless insight!

B: Just don't bleach them.

As I asked A. Edy who emailed me, "Did you CATch the CAT for Granny C.A.T.?"

Unknown said...

Wendy,

Nice job. I find the memories of Granny T. enjoyable. Keep up the good work.

Your other cousin in WA., Darren