Friday, April 2, 2010

Grasping Good Friday


We adore you O Christ and we praise you, because by your Holy Cross you have redeemed the world.

A rendition of those very words - used as a blessing at the end of tonight's Good Friday service - transported me back more than 30 years. As a child, I attended Stations of the Cross every Friday of Lent with my parochial school classmates. Together, we marked 15 points of Jesus' journey from condemnation to the cross to resurrection. At each point, we recited: "We adore you O Christ..."

Hearing those words tonight, in a church outside of my childhood denomination, I ached to genuflect and celebrate Christ's Passion in a way rooted deeply in my heart. Instead I sat, reflecting and remembering, and at last... grasping King Solomon words:

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6

No comments: