Sunday, December 23, 2007

Lille Julaften

or Little Christmas Eve – as Norwegians call December 23rd – is a traditional day for final preparations of Christ's birthday celebration.

Decades ago on this day, my host family took me into the forest to find a tree to bring home and decorate. We also wrapped gifts and made deliveries to friends and neighbors.

I held to that custom today – starting with a midnight-email delivery of well wishes to nordic friends and family. I included photos from our coffee-nook window of this electric candelabra. During Advent, Scandinavians light up the long, dark nights by shining ones like this to greet passers-by.

Later at sunrise, I mixed and kneaded a batch of sweet-bread dough. After church, I punched it down and let it rise a second time. Next I rolled out rectangles; buttered and sprinkled sugar, cinnamon and raisins over the top; rolled and formed several small tea rings. After allowing them to rise once again, I baked, frosted and packaged them for neighbors.

Noah got into the spirit volunteering to make two walking deliveries: one to his teacher's family and another to his friend's family. As he started out the door, I asked, "Aren't you going to put on mittens?"

Noah shook his head as he held out his hands under the plates, "Mmmm... They're still warm!"

After supper, I made the other deliveries –

trucking through
snow-drifted driveways,
walking up pathways,
knocking on doors,
and wishing a
"Merry Little Christmas"
to the residents
of these homes
with windows lit

in the darkness of
Lille Julaften.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steph mentioned yesterday "It's the eve of Christmas Eve!" Other than being constantly asked to open gifts (which I made them keep repeating what the real reason for Christmas is), I wondered to myself if there were any traditions out there for this day so close to the holiday. Thanks for sharing!