Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Time Away

Ever wish for time away with your parents? For four days this week, the boys and I got that chance: me with my folks, the boys with me – all of us together.




At

the

lake,






Grandpa
Curt
taught
the boys
how to
operate
an
outboard
motor.



Grandma Sue
paddled
a canoe

while

Noah

rode
along

to
fish


and I

steered

in search of

photo

opportun-
ities




a
m
i
d
s
t


the
lily
pads







just


before


sunset.



Back inside, Cousin Drew sided up on the lounge chair to join Aaron reading a new book.



(Drew stayed up to 12:30 AM to finish the story before his morning departure!) Meanwhile Isaac, Grandma Sue and Noah played "Go Fish." The following days, the boys caught FISH!


Noah

got

his

first

BIG

bass.





Isaac

stretched
his
arm

to
make

his
bass

LOOK
big.



But

Noah's

topped!






Aaron lured in

a northern pike

on a Mepps.




(One of his couple dozen landings! Yes...

The boy CAN fish.)


Best of all, the boys manned their own fishing tours – freeing up time for my parents and me to reflect about the new waves underway.


Later
Isaac
took
his
mom
for
an evening
boat ride





where
we
spotted


three
adult
loons.




The
next
morning
Isaac
hurriedly
returned
for
the
camera



to capture
other creatures
who seemed
to wish for
TIME AWAY.




Giving thanks for passing down a sixth-generation family tradition on Lake Carnelian.

3 comments:

Michele said...

What a lovely holiday for you and your boys, Wendy. That lake is so beautiful, so peaceful. And so full of fish! :-) This is a tradition that deserves to be passed on through the generations. BTW, I want to say that, in just the year I've been following your blog, I can see your sons growing up, becoming little men. That seems so amazing to me.

Wendy said...

Hi Michele.

Actually, Aaron's passionate for fish. Since age 3, he's been able to pull out lunkers with just the smell of bait on a hook. Grandpa Curt was in awe that Aaron lured in so many fish from what he calls "The Dead Sea."

As for the boys growth, you're correct in observation. Both Isaac and Aaron tower over my 5'8 1/2" (174 cm) frame. Isaac's closing in on six feet and Aaron's a couple inches behind. And for his age, Noah's well ahead of where his brothers stood.

Anonymous said...

I knew this would be the place to find out the details of cousin Drew's escapades! Thanks for providing the great times and memories!
B.