Thursday, January 19, 2012

Snapshots of the Day



"Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær."

I thought about this Norwegian rhyme as I walked the dogs today. I ventured outside at noon when the thermometer read -8°F/-20°C—almost subtropical compared to -22°F/-30°C temperature reading at 8 a.m. 

With Norwegian-wool socks warming my feet in my old Sorel boots, snowpants over my insulated wind pants, a hooded sweatshirt and flannel blouse on my upperbody, a fuzzy scarf around my face, gloves covering my hands and a hooded-barncoat zipping in the works, I faced the elements and grasped the Norwegian rhyme which could "very-loosely" translate:


"There's no such thing as bad weather, only an inadequate sweater."


The wind blew. The sun shone.

Even as I walked the Arctic Avenue, I was warm. So warm, in fact, that frost begin to form over my glasses, on my hood and even in my exposed hair.

I held out the camera for a snapshot to see just what kind of havoc this bad weather was wreaking.

I snapped another of wintry way.




At home, I checked my email to find one from my husband who was stationed for the work week in "Sunny Jacksonville." He'd sent me a Florida beach photo. 

"Ouch!" we responded in turn.

Me to him. And him to me, after I sent him my two Snapshots of the Day!

No comments: