Tuesday, April 21, 2009

This Too Shall Pass

What steals your peace?

Our pastor asked that question Saturday during our women's bible study.


This morning I pondered the question again before we rushed off for school and work.

"MOM! I have no pants. Can I wear shorts today? It's supposed to get warm," Aaron hollered. I snorted, "NO! It's 27 degrees (-3ºC) and there's frost on the windshield."

"But I've got no pants," Aaron whined. "People are wearing shorts."

"I don't care," I said. "It's against the school rules unless it's miserably hot."

"But I've got no clean pants," Aaron repeated. I shrugged, "It's not my problem. You should have brought them up to the washer. Get a move on!"

Aaron not only brought his dirty laundry but also came upstairs wearing pants – that minutes earlier had been invisible.

"MOM! I need a Propel for lunch today. We have to bring a drink with a screw-cap lid for our field trip," Noah said.

"That's today? Sorry," I said. "How about a water bottle?"

"But I don't want just water," Noah droned. I sighed, "How about some ice-tea mix IN the water bottle?"

Noah rolled his eyes, "I guess that'll work."

And to WORK, I went remembering my mother's wise words (stamped into this pewter coin).

As for "Peace" – I found that hours later while sitting on my back step.

I looked up the pine-studded hill and heard the wind whisper:
"This Too Shall Pass!"

1 comment:

Jodi Schwen: aka, Jacqueline Pine Savage @jackypine said...

One of my peace-stealers occurs when I check work e-mail from home instead of leaving it until work hours. The family time or peace of the home is snatched away by deadlines and pressures.
A friend also put it another way: "Don't let the joy-stealers steal your joy."
Thanks for the "peace"ful reminder, Wendy!