Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thanks, Shorty!

Sometimes, it's just good to go home.

Today was one of those days.
The church was nearly
empty when I arrived.
I thought I was late.
But instead, I was 45-minutes early.
The extra time provided me an opportunity for reflection.

I'd been carrying a burden -
one totally unrelated to this day's events.

Yet in this place, I felt it begin to lift.


The funeral readings
and songs carried
the burden higher.

But it wasn't until after the reception meal
that I was given the tools to let go.

Out-of-the-blue,
her grieving son-in-law
came to me saying,
"I'm getting too old to hold grudges."

He explained how his career as a prison guard
had opened his eyes. His mission with the prisoners became to help them see: It's healthier to live with a respect for the afterlife so that "There's nothing to lose."

Then it dawned on me:

In The Lord's Prayer,
Jesus teaches
his friends to pray,
"Give us this day
our daily bread,
and forgive us our sins
AS we forgive those
who sin against us."

Forgiveness is the key -
to lifting burdens,
to heaven
and to peace.

Suddenly I realized:
I'm getting too old to hold grudges too. 

He finished his story noting 
that after having served
their sentenced time
and on their way out
the door to "freedom,"
the released prisoners
would smile and say,
"Thanks, Shorty!" 

Tonight I echo
those sentiments
and RELEASE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thought provoking blog today. I think all who read this will reflect upon his/her own life. Thank you!
B.