Sunday, February 19, 2012

In the Dark House

"When was the last time you sat in a dark house?"
Aaron asked me this afternoon.

He stumped me for a moment until I realized more than a decade had passed since I'd last sat out on a lake looking down a hole to watch the underwater wonders. It was with his Grandpa Curt. Grandma Sue had offered to watch the boys so I could have an afternoon with my dad. At the time, I had an SLR 35mm camera. Capturing images was challenging in the low light; and results certainly weren't instant.

So when Aaron asked if I'd sit with him in the dark house, I agreed. Shooting digital images would be my adventure while he waited to spear pike.

Patterns in the melting ice
were the first thing
to catch my attention.


Meanwhile
Aaron broke open
the new ice cover
and scooped
out the chunks.



More than an inch thickness
had formed overnight
since Aaron and Dan's
Saturday afternoon outing.


Aaron emptied 
a five-gallon bucket
full of ice outside
the house







brought in
his spear,

 custom-made
by Grandpa Curt,











and
prepared it
for action.


During this outing,
Aaron lowered three
different decoys
down the hole
to lure in pike
in a water depth
of 12 feet.




When no pike
 showed up,
Aaron began
jigging for perch.


I started shooting
video to capture
the action
my fingers were
too slow to catch
with the shutter release.

Here's a perch nibbling
at a wax worm
under the decoy.

It got away.




But this one
wiggled
to the top
on Aaron's line,



came
up,

had a
quick
portrait,


and was
released.




Two hours passed
with more
of the same.



At 5 p.m.,
Aaron
wound up
activities




and drove us
into the sunset

and back home

to another
Dark House.

No comments: