Saturday, September 6, 2008

Classifieds

Adopting out kittens has become one of my favorite jobs.

"It's my fun," I told my husband who grimaced at my week-long ad in the local newspaper. "I like to see who comes."

On Sunday, Annie and La Blanc went home with Anne (who's name is sometimes pronounce Annie. "It must be a sign she's yours," I explained to the woman) and her two daughters.

On Labor Day, Mr. Biggelsworth was chosen by a woman (also named Wendy) for her toddler. I encouraged her to teach the little girl to "let the kitten come to her" instead of picking him up and risking scratches.

The rest of the week, our telephone was silent. When the ad agent called Wednesday asking if I wanted to extend my ad at a discounted rate, I hesitated with three kittens left.

"What's the latest I can let you know?" I asked and she replied, "Noon on Friday."

"We've still got coverage in Friday's shopper?" I asked. She agreed. Aaron started fishing for prospects. He came home from school Friday and explained, "I talked to all the girls in my class about the kittens."

He named off various ones whose family members had allergies. Others had cats already. Aaron advised, "Take a photo of the last three. I'll bring it to school Monday. Once they see our cute kitties, they won't be able to resist!"

He didn't get the chance. Saturday at 9:06 AM, I woke up to a ringing phone: "I'm calling about your ad for kittens. Do you have any left?"

"Three males," I said. The gal planned to garage sale all the way to our area and call me for directions when she got close. I hadn't heard back from her when another call came in at noon. This woman came right away. She and her daughter put the last three kittens in their pet carrier.

"We can't let one of them be lonely," the woman said. Besides, we need mousers."

Their 80-acre hobby farm was being over-run by chipmunks and other rodents.

An hour later, the 9 AM caller rang asking for directions. I said, "I'm sorry. I didn't hear back from you and a woman just took the last three."



"Oh!" the gal said. "That's all right. I'll keep on looking – "

Looking in the Classifieds.


With that final adoption, I felt free to leave home and attend an evening BBQ party with my hubby who grimaced no longer. And... I discovered Part 2 of Tickles' secret: Blessed are those with patience and faith for they will find their heart's desire!

No comments: